24/7 Emergency Services Available!
Everyone wants to enjoy a warm, comfortable home during the coldest Iowa winters – but no one wants the extra-high energy bills that often come along with it. This is especially true for those who rely on gas furnaces to heat their homes. As the cost of natural gas rises over the years, so too does the cost to heat our Ames homes. Iowa heating services have said for years that there are many things homeowners can do to reduce their heating costs, and Neighbors wants to share the top five tips for keeping your heating bills low during Iowa winters.
- Maintain your Filters and Your Furnace. It’s been said over and over, but if you do a comparison, you’ll see it’s true – keeping the filters clean and changed on your furnace and central heating system will maximize efficiency and airflow, preventing your system from working harder than it has to. In fact, you could save up to 10% of your heating bill just by keeping a clean filter in place. Not sure what type or size of filter to use? Contact our professionals in heating in Ames, IA at Neighbors for help!
- Replace old windows in your home with Energy Star high-efficiency double-pane windows. Choose those that have protective coatings to reflect heat back into your home during the winter. This can reduce your heating costs by up to 15%. If new windows are not within your current budget, you can cover your current windows with plastic film; the clear film creates an air pocket between the window and the plastic, which can reduce heat loss through windows by a whopping 25-50%!
- Program your thermostat or buy a programmable one. Did you know that on average, for every degree people raise their thermostat settings, their energy bills climb 3%? That can add up to hundreds of dollars over the course of a winter in Iowa! It’s much cheaper to throw on a sweater and slippers than it is to crank up your thermostat. Program yours to lower the temperature automatically during the part of a day that you are not at home. If your thermostat has the capability to program different zones, turn the heat down or even off in rooms that are not used.
- Use your ceiling fan! Most people only think of fans as a way to cool off, but they can also be used for heat. Set your fans at a low speed and flip the switch on it so that it spins clockwise. Heat naturally rises – the warm air that is trapped at the ceiling will mix with cooler air, be pushed down, and will heat the room. According to Tom Breeden, Vice President of Engineering at Hunter Fan Company, doing this could bring a 15% drop to your heating bill.
- Have our experts in Ames heating repair come out for a tune-up on your HVAC system at least once per year. This is something that everyone should be doing. Having our professionals check your system for proper function and performing some preventive maintenance can not only deter expensive emergency breakdowns, it will also ensure that your system continues to function at its optimum efficiency level. You’ll save a good amount of money and see it reflected on your energy bills as your system will work less to heat your home more when everything is kept in good working order.
For more tips on how to save money this winter on your energy bills in Ames, contact your Iowa heating services experts at Neighbors! We proudly serve Ames and all surrounding areas.